Guinean soldiers took control of state television on Sunday to announce the dissolution of the government of President Alpha Condé, PA reports.
The last: The coup leader, army colonel Mamadi Doumbouya, announced on Monday that government officials will be banned from traveling abroad and demanded that they return their official vehicles, by Reuters. He promised that “there will be no witch hunts”.
- The country’s land and air borders have also been reopened, Reuters reported, citing a military spokesperson.
- Doumbouya also allowed mining companies to continue their operations, effectively exempting them from a national curfew, according to the report. BBC.
- He said a new government would be formed in the coming weeks, but did not specify a timeline, the BBC reported.
The big picture: Heavy gunfire reportedly erupted near the presidential palace early on Sunday before coup leaders announced the dissolution of the National Assembly and the country’s constitution.
- Condé, 83, has come under heavy criticism after running for a third term last year, with his popularity having fallen dramatically since then, according to AP. His whereabouts are not immediately known.
What they say : “The personalization of political life is over, ”Doumbouya said on Sunday, via AP.
- “We will no longer entrust politics to one man, we will entrust it to the people,” he added.
- Doumbouya did not explicitly mention Condé in his televised statements on Sunday.
Inventory: The coup drew wide international condemnation.
- “The United States condemns today’s events in Conakry. Violence and any extra-constitutional measures will only erode Guinea’s prospects for peace, stability and prosperity,” the spokesperson said. of State Department Ned Price in a statement. declaration late Sunday.
- “I strongly condemn any seizure of power by force of firearms and call for the immediate release of President Alpha Condé,” said UN Secretary General António Guterres. tweeted.
Editor’s Note: This story has been updated with additional details throughout.