More people, including government officials and lawmakers, were to be quarantined after a banquet they attended saw a second positive preliminary case of Covid.
The new preliminary case was said to be Joyce Yeung, an RTHK host from the station’s Putonghua Channel. She had attended the banquet on Monday and left around 8 p.m. that night.
It was understood that the 170 guests who attended the banquet were now classified as close contacts of the two suspected cases and will need to be sent to the Penny’s Bay quarantine center.
Government officials to be quarantined include Financial Services and Treasury Secretary Christopher Hui Ching-yu, Police Commissioner Raymond Siu Chak-yee, ICAC Commissioner Simon Peh Yun-lu, Under Secretary for Constitutional and Continental Affairs Clement Woo Kin-man, Under Secretary for Home Affairs Jack Chan Jick-chi, Under Secretary for Financial Services and Treasury Joseph Chan Ho-lim, Under Secretary for Innovation and Technology David Chung Wai-keung and Policy Assistant to Innovation and Technology Secretary Lillian Cheong Man-lei.
Fifteen lawmakers who attended the banquet were also required to pack before their 21-day quarantine.
So far, three government officials – Home Secretary Caspar Tsui Ying-wai, Political Assistant to Development Secretary Allen Fung Ying-lun, and Immigration Commissioner Au Ka-wang have been sent. in the establishment to undergo 21 days of quarantine.
They have joined four lawmakers – Benson Luk Hon-man, Duncan Chiu Tat-kun, Rock Chen Chung-nin and Wendy Hong Wen, who have been classified as close contacts of the positive preliminary case.
Immigration chief Au said on Friday he would be isolated at the Penny’s Bay quarantine center. He said he would cooperate fully with the arrangements made by the health authorities.
In a statement, the immigration chief said he was briefly present at the banquet, leaving immediately after congratulating the host on not staying for the meal. He apologized for attending the event.
âRegarding the added burden for epidemic prevention work and the inconvenience of the public due to my personal behavior, I sincerely apologize to all Hong Kong people. I have reflected on this incident and will be more vigilant in the future, “he said.